Monday, 24 March 2008

Happy Easter

Today I've got three new creations to show you which I've made with some of Caroline's beautiful beads. I've got several sets from her which I've had for some time now, waiting to be made into finished pieces, and have been waiting until I have just the right silver and gemstones to finish them off. The first piece is my 'Ghost in the Shell' bracelet made with 'ghost beads', the frit seems to hang in the glass like a ghostly after-image. I've also used what I think are chrysoprase beads (I've had them so long I can't remember what they are). The word chrysoprase is derived from Greek words meaning 'green leek' apparently. I had two beads over from the bracelet, so I made some earrings too.



It's been great to have a four-day weekend and good to finally get some time to spend with my beads (and its still not over yet :). It's been a pretty busy one all in all; I've been 'Auntie Ali' for the weekend, as we've got my other half's 8-year old son to stay. We try to have him come whenever there's a long weekend or school holiday so he can be here for more than just two days; he now lives in Ely which is quite a way away from us, so we can't have him as often as we would like. I have been supervising artistic creations with spirograph and glitter glue this morning ;0)



My day-job has been keeping me pretty busy the last couple of weeks, and I'm also taking an Open University management course which work has sponsored me to do. Up till now all the tutorials have been online, and all my assignments have been submitted electronically. The scary part is the final module is a real life 3-hour exam, which is exactly one month from today - I'm a terrible procrastinator when it comes to things I'd rather not be doing, but luckily I'm pretty good at working under pressure so when I have deadlines for work or whatever I tend to use the adrenaline rush to pull it all together at the last minute. In this case though I think I will need to do some serious revision in advance and not leave it all to the night before, lol.

The final piece I've got to show you today is a necklace, also made with a set of Caroline's beads, which I've had for months, lol. I love this peridot-green colour (not least coz peridot is my birthstone). Although I wouldn't usually wear clothes in this colour, I love it for accessories. These beads were originally going to be another bracelet, but on second thoughts I decided they should be a necklace instead - more scope to add more beads, lol. I've used some beautiful Canadian jade beads, glass pearls, Swarovski crystals, tiny peridot rondelles, rock crystal and sterling and (surprise, surprise!!) Karen silver ;) I've called this one 'Meliai', which in Greek (or possibly Roman) mythology is the name for the dryads of ash trees , on account of its greenness.



I think the rest of today will have to be devoted to serious revision - allowing of course for breaks for part two of 'The Colour of Magic' and 'Lost' which I missed last night to watch 'The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency' - not that I'm a telly addict or anything! Hope you've all had a lovely Easter.

8 comments:

Crafted Gems said...

oh those are stunning, love what you've done with the beads

Ali P said...

Thanks Caroline,
Glad you approve ;) I've been sitting on these beads for long enough, I thought it was about time I turned them into something new.

Catherine said...

Hi Ali - I've just been looking at your photos on Flickr and I've left you some comments! I LOVE your designs! They've got such a lovely look and feel to them.

Catherine x

Jewellery Craft said...

Hey, aren't Caroline's beads just wonderful, I have a couple of sets that I love and keep touching, I know I must use them but.........well..........soon maybe....

Your jewellery is beautiful!!!

xxx

Izzy said...

Totally gorgeous, Ali! Lovely beads, great designs!

Ali P said...

Thanks Izzy,

I'm hoping to get myself some of your own lovely beads in the not-too-distant future - payday is just around the corner, and I think I'm due some funds from sales my sister has made in Florida...

Nia said...

Beautiful creations Ali, all of them. Sounds like you had a lovely easter with the crafty stuff! But oh my what a busy life you lead, how do you fit it all in? All that AND jewellery! I watched The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency too, wasn't it excellent? With all the c**p that's on TV these days, it was a rare treat.

Ali P said...

Thanks Nia,
My other half asks me how I keep going too - and I didn't include in my post singing in my choir or getting roped into Easter flower arranging after letting slip my first ever job was Saturday girl in a florist, lol.
I was really impressed with the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency too, I've read all but the latest book in the series and am glad to hear a TV series is planned, for next year I think.
Ali x