Monday, 17 March 2008

Taking the Plunge


I have been dithering over starting a blog for ages, I've never been very successful at keeping a diary, but I guess this this is a bit different. I'm inspired (and on occasion in awe of) the talented and creative people out there whose blogs I have been admiring from the sidelines, and have finally decided to join in and share my own creations with anyone who cares to stop by.

I've been making jewellery on-and-off since I was at school, but I hadn't really done much making for years, until a couple of years ago something made me dig out my stash of seed beads and Native American beadweaving design books. I started making jewellery again as gifts for friends and started getting a few orders for pieces from colleagues at work, and when I started hunting for beads on the internet to boost my supplies, I discovered lampwork glass and all the other beautiful beads and silver from all over the world that is now easily available to people like me. I haven't looked back since ;)




I decided to start posting today, as I've just finished off several bracelets I've in the pipeline for some time now, and took photos of this morning. The picture at the top is a bracelet using some of Caroline Hannon's pillow beads - which look like dragon skin (not that I've seen a real dragon!), Chinese turquoise and pyrite rondelles (I love the rondelles and wish all gemstone beads came in this shape). The central turquoise rondelle is a bead I bought from a lovely lady I met on her stall at a street market last week while I was on a freebie holiday in Spain.

The next one is Peruvian blue opal faceted nuggets, I love the way the stones have depth and inclusions. Not sure what to call this one yet.


The final piece is a bracelet made with Impression Jasper beads. I've called it 'Eau de Nil' for the really subtle blue-green colour of the stone. Apparently 'eau de nil' means 'water of the Nile', I've never been to Egypt but I'd be pretty surprised if the river is this colour today!

That's all from me for now, except to say thanks to those who have encouraged me to get started. Have a good day everyone ;0)

6 comments:

Crafted Gems said...

oh Alison there all stunning but i love what you've done with my beads, i'll add a link to your blog on mine when i do this mornings post

Nicky said...

Great work Ali, I see you have a love for bracelets too. I would make bracelets all day if i could, but for some reason not everyone loves them as much a me (strange huh !) Thanks for the comment on my blog and ive added you to my links :D

Crafted Gems said...

Hi Ali, just thought i'd let you know those beads are yours hun

Alison said...

Great work, Ali, glad to see your blog up and running. Beautiful pieces, aren't Caroline's beads a dream to work with. I'll post a link on my blog.

Nia said...

Gorgeous work Alison! I've added your link now too. Happy blogging!

Jewellery Craft said...

Hi, just thought I'd drop a note and say "hello and wonderful jewellery!"

xxx