Sunday, 6 April 2008

April (Snow) Showers

Hasn't today been strange here in England? It feels more like the Christmas holidays than the end of Easter. It snowed here last night, and unlike others further south, in Birmingham we woke up to sunshine and the most gorgeous blue skies, with a thick blanket of white across everything. The picture above was taken from my kitchen window, the snow hides all the unsightly mess in my garden, I've been in my house for three years and have only managed a few pots, a not-very-successful arch and a garden shed so far...

It looks so magical when the snow clings to the tree branches. It was all gone by this afternoon, but it's snowing again now, so maybe we'll be treated to another winter wonderland in the morning. It's been such a beautiful day here, shame I had to spend most of it with head in books - I've got an online revision school going on this weekend, so have been hard at it - but keeping myself same with a bit of beading in between ;0)

I managed to sneak the time to make two bracelets last night and today, the first is quite a simple one, using Madagascar Leopardskin jasper beads, black agate and Swarovski crystals. My sister has been selling some of my jewellery for me at her hair salon in Orlando, and between us we have been working out what sells best. It seems that the things that sell first are pieces with more neutral or conservative colours, especially with black or brown beads. I love to experiment with colour combinations myself, and although the more flamboyant pieces sell eventually, I do try to make some pieces in more neutral or classic colour schemes, hopefully without losing my own style in the process.

This second bracelet is made with another set of Caroline's beautiful beads, which she called 'Sunset Pillows' I love the combination of colours that are in these, from opal white to topaz to deep amethyst. I've put them with some amethyst rounds and clusters of pearls, rainbow moonstone and Swarovski sparklies. I think pillow beads may be my favourite shape for lampwork beads :)

I'm off to do some more studying before calling it a day. It's 8.15 and the snow is coming thick and fast outside, so maybe we'll get snowed in an not be able to go to work in the morning - I can live in hope!

8 comments:

Alison said...

Lovely snow pics, Ali, we've hardly had any snow up here in Notts! Gorgeous bracelets too, I wondered who's snaffled those sunset pillows, I was very tempted myself - you've done a great job with them.

Ali P said...

Thanks Alison,

I missed the original sunset pillows myself, but Caroline made a second set just for me :)

Nia said...

we had similar weather here in West Wales Ali - quite heavy snow and blazing sunshine/blue skies, then flurries, it looked so pretty! Love the bracelets and what you've done with Caroline's beads!

Catherine said...

Beautiful photos of the snow Ali!

I love your two new bracelets. Beautiful colours and design. Lucky you to have a sister to help sell your jewellery!!

Catherine x

Jewellery Craft said...

Lovely bracelets, HATE snow, nasty wet cold stuff for slipping over in!!! Very good for staying in and beading me thinks!

xxx

Crafted Gems said...

oh fab, i love what you've done with the pillows

erin said...

I absolutely adore the pillow lampwork bracelet. You are incredibly talented.

erin
www.jewellerybyerin.com
jewellerybyerin.blogspot.com

Izzy said...

Brilliant work, Ali! Nice snowy pics too - we had no snow here at all :-(