Friday, 13 June 2008

Peace Out!

Last weekend I had some of my jewellery on sale at the Leamington Peace Festival. A couple of fellow jewellery makers I met at a market I did just before Christmas invited me to share their stall 'Sent to Coventry' - an artists' collective. I They are lovely and I'm really pleased they asked me to join them for this event. As well as selling jewellery we had kids face painting on our pitch, and the girls got me joining in, which helped to swell my profits and was great fun. Having never done face painting before I think I picked it up pretty quickly - at least the kids went away with a smile (and lots of sparkly glitter, which is always good). I now feel like something of an expert - I must have painted at least 50 faces.
The girls had also agreed to run a kids workshop making bracelets with pipe-cleaners and beads, so I did a stint at that too. I sold a few pieces of jewellery, and gave out lots of cards, so there may be some follow-up from those. The weather held too, which was great - several people there told me how this time last year the park where it's held was distinctly waterlogged - I'm very glad the same scenario was not repeated this time around :o) I've been feeling totally knackered this week at work but it was definitely worth it.

Becasue of the festival I had a big push last week to make up some pieces that have been going round in my head for a while. The first two pictures are of bracelet and matching earrings made with another set of Caroline's beads, some glass pearls, glass discs and some swarovski crystal hearts and butterflies - very girlie ;0)




I had a couple of amazonite with pyrite / tourmaline inclusions left and decided to make one of them into this bracelet, the cubes are amazonite, the rondelles pyrite and the little pillows are labradorite (one of my fave stones). I just love the colours in this one - I've called it From Grey Skies to Blue :)


The last two pieces, a bracelet and a necklace both use some freshwater pearl nuggets. The bracelet focal bead is coffee bean jasper, which has some great markings. I've used vintage rose Swarovski crystals, garnet rondelles and African opals along with the pearls.



This necklace is freshwater pearls with blue goldstone rondelles and Thai silver. I like how this one has turned out, quite chunky :)


Finally, I just want to say thanks to Caroline of Crafted Gems for choosing me as one of five people to award the Sweet Home Blogger Award - I'm very honoured. I'll be passing this one on when I next post too :0)




3 comments:

Crafted Gems said...

wow thats a really girly set you'v made with my beads there, my youngest sister would go nuts for that, lol, i love the dangles you've put on the earrings.

Ali P said...

Thanks Caroline - it is definitely the girliest bracelet I've made for a while - the beads just demanded it ;)

Earth and Fire beads said...

Lovely pieces there Ali - the pink and purple one with Carolines fab beads is beautiful and I love the last necklace with the pearls.