Thursday, 15 January 2009


I started the New Year on a great note ~ with my first Etsy Treasury ;) It made the front page too, and although I missed seeing it there lucky for me Jo of Gemheaven was in the right place at the right time and captured a screen shot for me (** thanks Jo **). I haven't really made a proper list of new Year's resolutions for 2009, but I guess one of them would be to do more with 'All About the Beads' on-line and off and I guess Etsy is a good place to start (and making treasuries is fun too ;) I should try to keep up with my Blog a bit more too, but better not promise too much as I know what I'm like!

I don't have any new work of my own to show at the moment, I made a few commission pieces just before Christmas which I heard yesterday went down very well with their recipients (phew!), but I'm currently on somewhat enforced bead holiday. I had decided over Christmas that while I had a couple of weeks off work I would do some reorganisation at home and swap over our second & third bedrooms ~ the idea being to give my BF's son a larger room and more space for his toys and to play for when he comes to stay and to move my desk / jewellery workspace (and massage couch) into the smaller of the two rooms. It would also mean that I could finally get around to decorating the small room and lay a floor over the bare boards, which I've been trying to do for a while. I have a lovely pale aqua colour for the walls and had picked a laminate floor from Ikea, and was pretty excited about reinventing the space BUT when I came to lay the floor the Ikea boards were just not cutting it - the floor boards are just too uneven and the new floor doesn't click together properly as a result :( So I'm going with Plan B come payday, when I can afford to get some better quality boards from B&Q...

In the meantime, all my beads and tools are boxed up and waiting for the new room to be ready - I'm itching to get them out again and thinking it's probably time to go back to a tray in front of the telly until I can get my bench up and running, I just don't think I'll get away with bolting my anvil to the coffee table or hammering silver through Eastenders ;)

So in the absence of any new creations of my own, I've posted some pictures of the lovely things I bought on Etsy over Christmas with some money my lovely sister Kathryn put in my Paypal account as a pressie ;)


The first is a necklace made by Brandi of Catie's Blue ~ I loved it when she first posted a picture on Flickr, and so I treated myself. Just waiting for it to arrive, it should be here any day now :)









The second thing is another piece of jewellery, this time a bracelet made by Charlene Serdan in Canada. I just love what she does with beads and how she combines colours in her bracelets and necklaces - the hardest part was choosing my favourite one!


This one is something I couldn't resist getting for my sister ~ she's Ashley the Angora Sweater Rabbit, made by the lovely Felicia of Fluffy Flowers in Macon, Georgia. She has a great knack of making the cutest creatures with personalities ~ and all out of recycled sweaters. My other half can't understand why I would pay money for 'a piece of old jumper' which makes me laugh, but these are so sweet I just can't resist. (I have one of my own I bought last year: Thomas Tillerman~Pirate Sweater Cat!)

And the final picture is a print that I've bought from Courage My Love also in Canada. I spotted this one day on an Etsy treasury that made front page, so getting our work out there at the forefront definitely has it's payback. I love the image and the idea of this picture, and the colours will be perfect for my new workroom, the walls are a paler version of the middle teacup ;)


6 comments:

Catherine said...

Woo hoo!! Front page first time! Congratulations Ali!! It's a really beautiful treasury too!!

I love all your purchases, particuarly the photo!!

Decorating never goes to plan does it but you get there eventually.

Mana Moon Studios said...

Hi Ali, I just wanted to thank you so much for your beautiful comment on my blog.

It's strange, I checked my blog list and your blog wasn't on it although I know I had it listed there, ugh! I hate it when that happens but it's been added again so I'll be back more often, sorry about that!

Hope you have a wonderful week my friends♥
Sharon

Tina said...

Love the photo...that is great. Nice to treat yourself to some jewellery that you haven't made also.

Brandi said...

I'm so glad you like the necklace! I'm truly honored you wanted it!!!

Btw, you got an award!
http://brandi-girl.blogspot.com/2009/02/mash-up-of-last-few-days.html

Catherine said...

Oh Ali, I've just spotted your photo on your Flickr page and of course, being a nosey old cow I had to have a look!

I loved your responses, I completely agree with the Christian thing and you look gorgeous!! :)

GAFFER GIRLS said...

so glad I found you today...
I just love your work... and your blog...
have a great week
mona & the gaffer girls
ps .. please do join into the bead world we welcome you....