Sunday, 1 March 2009

Against a Dark Background

Once again it's been ages since I posted, but as the saying goes, better late than never! There always seems so much to do and not enough hours in the day to do them all. I've got lots to say, but I'll try to keep it short and sweet (for those of you whose blogger reader list is anything like mine !) Firstly 'hi' to all my new followers and thanks so much for taking an interest in my blog ;o)

Since my last post I've been investigating the forums online and thinking about promoting myself better online. I've signed up to Twitter (& Plurk too) and am now a member of the Etsy Twitter Team. If you are there too come and say hi!
I've also set up an Artfire account and am on the verge of listing there ~ I've not done much with my shops lately and need a real kickstart I think!

I've not been very prolific since Christmas jewellery-wise, but I've got lots of new ideas. Still I've finally managed to finish a couple of pieces, including these necklaces here. The first is one I made for myself with beads by Isabelle Anderson of
Flame & Glass, I just love her beads so much. The second is a necklace I need to list, featuring a gorgeous set of beads by Clare Scott. I've had these for ages but was waiting for the right blue beads to go with them. These Peruvian blue opals did it for me.

The last one is a necklace I've been making for ages and features beads by American lampwork artists JavaBead. They names these lovely boro beads 'Arabian Nights' so I have stuck with the theme and decided to call this necklace 'Sheherazade'. I've used amethysts, iolite, aquamarines and pink sapphires to bring out the colours in the glass.


And so for the post title... I decided recently that my photos needed a little perking up, and I discover it is much easier to get a good picture with a dark background! I paid my local garden centre a visit and came away with a black sandstone slab and a slice of slate, and I've made a little set up with these and some lovely slightly shiny deep grey paper I had in my stash... I know it's not the most original of ideas, but I hope it does more justice to the beads than my cream ground did before. 'Against a Dark Background' is also a great story by one of my favourite sci-fi authors, Iain M. Banks. I highly recommend it if you like that sort of thing ;o)

I have more (including an award I need to acknowledge ~ thanks Brandi, I know I'm rubbish but I promise I haven't forgotten;). It probably deserves its own post, so I'll save it for next time.

4 comments:

BeadyPool said...

Gorgeous pieces Ali - loving what you have done with Izzy beads.
I haven't blogged for ages either, can't seemt o find the time for it all at the moment:) Maybe this week LOL

Ali P said...

Hi V, Thank you ;) I know what you mean about time, I was planning to post over a week ago but only managed it yesterday...

Jelveh Designs said...

all so pretty, I know what you mean about blogging, I have been better at it that in the past...love your designs...
Jelveh
Peace

ChatElaine said...

Lovely jewellery and I use a dark background sometimes too. I have kitchen floor tile I use.